Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Infinity

Getting closer.....

...and closer...


By complete coincidence, the titles of my next two posts are also the names of my brother’s cats: Infinity and Serendipity. (I’d like to claim to be so organized as to plan ahead for my posts. But the real truth is that I’m behind and should have posted these much sooner.)

This final agonizing wait to bring Danny home has brought to mind an early math lesson. I loved math as a kid. I loved doing long division on difficult problems and calculating things to the furthest possible decimal point. Perhaps that is why I have such vivid memories about learning about the concept of infinity: that cute little sideways 8.

To explain infinity, our teacher gave us an example of cutting the distance to a particular point in half, and in half again and again. She explained that each time the distance was cut in half, you’d be closer to the finish, but you could cut that distance in half forever and never actually get to the finish line. That’s infinity.

This wait feels exactly the same way. Milestones have been reached, we are within spitting distance of the finish line but still time seems to drag on forever.

I have a hard time believing we will ever hold our sweet boy in our arms. I think it will only be when we pull into our driveway with our family complete that I’ll be able to relax and envision the next leg of our journey together.

Our distance was cut in half again today with the wonderful news that we have a MATCH!! While we’ve been worrying about a recent report that our DNA was MIA at the lab, things have been happening and now the last hurdle before the revered “PINK” slip has been crossed.

One last word on infinity: It’s a perfect description for the never ending love I have for my sweet sweet children!

You want me to eat what?

All three kids at 9 months comtemplating a meal...

6 comments:

hannah said...

I am so proud for you. I hope that we are in Guatemala together. You will have to give me your email address so that we can discuss times and where you will be staying so that we may can meet in person. I pray that our pink comes soon.

Amy said...

Praying you hear of your PINK this week! So excited for all the little ones about to come home - these are days you will never forget! Thank you Lord for answered prayer!

Sara said...

Such splendid news that DNA is done and results are back. Just this last hurdle and then a new beginning. I know this wait has been unimaginable, but enjoy these last few days with just Grace and soon you be enjoying time with Danny too. I know this journey has been tough, but you have grown, which is what God has intended. Smile girl...it's coming!!

Anonymous said...

Hallelujah! I'm so excited you got a match.....I love the pictures of the preparation for the next part of your family journey.

And I love the cherished photos of all the kids at 9 months. It is fun to look and see their chubby cheeks, compare the eyes, see how much hair they have, and feel how blessed we are to have these gifts from God.

Praying for PINK.

Stephanie said...

so excited for you! praying you get pink soon!
love the three pics at the bottom... what a blessing to have a three!

David and Marianne said...

What a perfect description of this process!! Thank you for verbalizing what I could not explain : )

Praying for you and Braxton's mommy as we all wait for pink!