Thursday, September 25, 2008

Bald is Beautiful....





I’d venture to say that all adoptive families are astounded at how “right” their adoptive children are for their families. During all the frustrations and delays that kept us from sending in our initial paperwork, I kept telling myself that it would all be worth it because if not for the delays we would not have the child who was meant for us.

There are many reasons Danny is such a good fit for our family. Some of them are deep, spiritual and philosophical. Then there are the million little reasons that make me smile every day.

Baldness is one of them. My little Guatemalan son has less hair then either of my European children had. Ever. Until that is, my Josh lost his hair to chemo. It was only then that I was able to realize the sweetness of kissing a little bald scalp, of looking at all the cute little dents and divots that occur naturally on every head.

Of course, Danny is not a substitute for Josh and Josh was not a holding place for Danny. They are each unique individuals and integral parts of this family. But how amazing is it that my last kiss for Josh and my first kiss for Danny was of a little fuzzy bald head.

If you see babies from Guatemala you might say, “What are the odds that there would even be a bald Guatemalan baby, and what are the odds that he would end up in your family?” But I believe that Danny was destined for our family from the beginning, so I think the odds were pretty good all along!

Now that he’s here and I’ve gotten the gift of a bald-headed kiss, our boy is starting to sprout hair!

Here are a few pictures of Danny’s new growth!











And a few photos of Gracie then and now - who has gone from straight black hair to curly light brown with no baldness in between!


3 comments:

Rebekah said...

Oh they are all so darn cute I am at a loss for words ... Josh is the sweetest little boy I have ever seen photos of ... his pure innocence and joy is captured in almost every photo you took ... thanks you so much for sharing your story with so many of 'us' ... and God Bless your new family member who was destined to be a there ... Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend!

Rebekah, Jaden & Baby#2

Sara said...

I love this post, because it shows how different, yet the same we really all are. I am so glad to see you enjoying everything about your kids - be that hair or baldness. Children are really gifts from God:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Therese,
I have some questions. could you drop me an email at uslee19 at gmail dot com?