Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Oooh C'est Chouette



I confess I’m a bargain maniac. There’s an irresistible thrift shop in our neighborhood that Gracie and I scrounge regularly. The fact that all proceeds go to an excellent cause is the tipping point that gives me permission to go nuts every time we visit.



With the addition of another child to our household and the requisite influx of additional plastic crap, I’ve exercised a bit more restraint of late. I’ve deliberately stayed away from their “Merry Thriftmas” because I am very tempted by Christmas decorations. But a while back, the pull was too strong and Gracie and I made our first foray of the holiday season.

.
We found a reindeer for Gracie and a soft moose for Danny. Gracie set them up on a date that very night!

.

Gracie also found a red velvet dress with faux fur trim and a matching hat. I started to stress out when she wore it during lunch and dinner, worrying that it might not survive too many washings. Then I reminded myself that it cost $3.99 and all would not be lost if I let Gracie live in the moment. As you can see from the pictures below, she insisted not only in living in the moment, but sleeping in it as well…

.


We also found an adorable snow suit for Danny. It was made in France. (Oooh La La!) The design depicts a couple woodland animals in a snow storm with the accompanying phrase: “Oooh C’est Chouette.” A check on Babelfish.com told me that this means: “oh the owl” which seemed a bit strange. So I contacted a friend who is fluent in French and has spent serious time in France. She told me that the phrase is common slang to mean: “Oooh so cute!” And I have to say, I agree!

.

I found a few nice outfits for Danny including one pictured below that Gordon deemed to be completely “dorky.” But we both agree that while it would no doubt be dorky on either Gordon or myself, on Danny it is: Oooh C’est Chouette.

7 comments:

Mom&Dad to A & J said...

You crack me up with your descriptions of your shopping adventures.

I agree Danny is soo cute - looks like he is growing a bunch too.

And not that this will suprise you, but A has a very similar christmas dress that she loves too.

Thanks for the fun pictures!
Erin

Sara said...

I love the Christmas clothes and how cute the kids look in them. It is so fun to get a good bargain, isn't it? Glad to see you posting more...love keeping updated on the daily happenings around your house

Anonymous said...

Hi Therese! Missed you the past few weeks.... love the bargains. Gracie's dress reminds me of one Emily had last year and she didn't want to give up because she had outgrown it. It is very cute!! Just like the phrase on Danny's snowsuit. He is growing so big-- love to see the photos and the joy in them. God bless!

Anonymous said...

Therese:

Thinking of your family alot the past week....and how it seems like yesterday I was sitting at my computer in tears. The grace and joy you continue to share with all who know you and your family is a blessing. Thank you for your friendship.

God bless you all!

Cathy said...

Merry Christmas to your family...altho I have written lately I check on you every week and you still inspire me today as you did in those years past. Danny is adorable and Gracie - well she just cracks me up!!! Have a wonderful holiday and a blessed new year! Thank you and Gordon for being such an inspiration to so many.............

Cathy Tingley

Cathy said...

Happy New Year! Hope that everything is going well for all of you and that your holidays were great! Would love to hear from you-we out here worry when you don't write! I know that December was a hard month for you - I'm sure that Gracie and Danny can brighten any darkened day..........My thoughts are always with you......

Anonymous said...

T: I miss you. I laughed at your blog title today....both a warm bottle or a hot flash would be welcome on a day with -31 windchills. Hope everyone is bundled up and staying warm.