Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Tucking in my babies

There's nothing that beats the heat of a 60 degree day like ice-cream!!


Saturday was a busy day. I like to plan busy days away from the house because it keeps me from obsessively checking the computer for updates. (Our agency is closed Saturday, so this activity defies logic anyway.)

We spent the entire day at the zoo along with about 90% of the people living in our fair city. Despite the crowds, it was a beautiful day. We capped off our afternoon with an activity that may sound crazy to our new blogger friends from the south: we sat on the terrace without jackets and basked in the 60 degree sun eating ice-cream!

When we finally got home, Grace was asleep almost before her head hit the pillow. I finished my night up the way I usually do by sneaking into her room and tucking her in again and giving her sweet sleeping cheek a good-night kiss.

Ah, but the computer was calling. I couldn’t resist and logged on just to check. And there, in my first e-mail of the day was the picture you see below. This was sent from Kate’s mom (see sidebar for link), who had just returned from visiting her daughter who also lives at Danny’s Home.

For the first time since Danny was born, I got to tuck in both of my kids. Thank you, Sara for this very special gift with the perfect timing for a mother’s heart.

My night-time ritual now includes a look at this picture either before or after my good night visit to Gracie. I go to bed picturing my sweet Gracie and Danny peacefully slumbering.

Here’s the last little cool bit serendipity: I’ve had the goodnight prayer from Hansel and Gretel (the opera) running through my head. I used to love listening to it when I was a kid. Thinking of my own slumbering kids made me think of it again. When I Googled it to find the lyrics the first link to them was on the website “Adoption.com” Wow!

Children's Prayer from Hansel & Gretel
When at night I go to sleep
Fourteen angels watch do keep;
Two my head are guarding,
Two my feet are guiding;
Two are on my right hand,
Two are on my left hand,
Two who warmly cover
Two who o’er me hover,
Two to whom ‘tis given
To guide my steps to heaven

Sleeping softly, then it seems
Heaven enters in my dreams;
Angels hover round me,
Wisp’ring they have found me;
Two are sweetly singing,
Two are garlands bringing,
Stewing me with roses
As my soul reposes.
God will not forsake me
When dawn at last will wake me.

4 comments:

Amy said...

He is precious. Praying you get to tuck him in for real very soon.

Stephanie said...

Precious~~ praying he is home soon in his own bed with his mommy tucking him in every night!

Sara said...

Oh my dear friend Therese, I am so glad to have met your sweet son at EN and share pictures with you. I am so grateful for our friendship and know that one day soon we will both celebrate our children being home with us for good - playing, being cuddled and gently tucked into bed. Prayers and hugs!!

Jen said...

Beautiful! We are so thankful for our blogger friends who send pictures after visiting EN. May you patiently wait until your son comes home forever news.