Wednesday, April 16, 2008

From the Mouths of Babes...

Future Teacher

Here’s what Gracie said to me the other night at dinner, apropos of nothing:

“Did you know the sun’s rays travel 93 million miles to ripen and dry the fruit that makes our bodies strong and healthy? I thought you’d be curious about that. Sun Maid is a proud sponsor of PBS Kids.”


I did not know that!! (3/29/08: thanks, Sara!!)


Somewhere a marketing rep from Sun Maid Raisins is smiling right now.

Grace watches a half-an-hour of PBS programming per day after her nap. Sometimes, we stretch it to an hour if I have a lot of work to do. Often she’s playing or doing something else while she’s watching.

So I ask you: if an almost-three-year-old can pick this up and can repeat it like an automaton, what are kids picking up when commercial television is on in the background? It’s a scary thought.



Happy Birthday CMG!! Hi-Ho-Cherrio!

6 comments:

Amy said...

This brought me to tears of laughter. Does make you wonder. When our older two kids were very little I had told my dad that they didn't watch hardly any television. Later during that visit they both started singing the Menards commercial, my dad just looked at me. :)

Deidre said...

I need more Gracie in my life!! :)

I learned how to spell McDonalds thanks to their commercial (I guess I didn't watch enough PBS to learn anything more educational!)

Praying you guys get good news soon!

Sara said...

Don't you love how our kids can make us laugh! She is too cute! I just love all her curly hair.

Her repeating the commercial is a good reminder that what you put in, is what will come out!!

David and Marianne said...

love your blog! It is amazing how tv or any media can be so easily absorbed!

The Wilkens Family said...

Too funny! What a little smartie! It is scary what they "hear" and pay attention to, when we don't even think they are listening.

JustKrisAgain said...

It is the catchy jingles that get absorbed....like "please don't fiddle with the oreo middle" or the "Hey Kool-Aid" one where he crashes through a wall. I have a few personal favorites from growing up as I'm sure my kids will too. There are some really great, interactive kids shows that I think expand kids' learning when we as parents need to get something done.