Friday, May 9, 2008

Eat...Pray...Love...

This is a time when all families with children waiting in Guatemala need your prayers and your compassion. This is a time to do the same for the birth mothers of the children who wait.

It is now certain that interviews will take place with all birth mothers. I would never want to take away a chance from a woman to change her mind or to be heard. If there are women who are having second thoughts they should be heard. But the process in place is cruel and barbaric.

Birth mothers are being forced to come to the PGN building for interviews. The press is in full force as are protesters. Women who made courageous, very private choices are now being photographed for the entire world to see. The children are also being photographed. The address of one birth mother as well as the address of her biological child’s foster home was published in a local newspaper. How can this be for the good of the mothers and the children? What is there to gain in making this a public spectacle?

Today was the day that the birth mother of our son was interviewed. The report back (not from the lawyer but from the Children’s Home) was that the interview went well and that her responses were “adequate.” I hope and pray that she can put this humiliating experience behind her and I hope she can know in her heart how much we will love and care for the child she gave birth to if we are given the chance. And of course, I hope that the politicians caught up in the posturing will be moved to feel compassion for all the lives tangled up in this mess, especially the waiting children.

I hope this young woman is blessed as I am to have a network of friends who would drop everything to give a hug or encouragement when needed.

Without the love and prayers from all of you I can’t imagine finding the strength to walk this road.

Today some friends made a long drive out to my house to bestow hugs, lunch and chocolate. Gracie and I are already halfway through the first bar, but there are three left. I think this will carry us through the weekend and we’ll cross Monday’s bridge when we come to it.

Therapy: Dark Chocolate & Organic

Thank you, dear friends!

6 comments:

Amy said...

Praying for a quick resolution to the PGN problems. Praying for your family as you wait this wait out.

(Chocolate doesn't hurt either.)

Sara said...

Prayers, love and chocolate...best remedy to get through a tough time. Glad Danny's birthmom was able to come in and that is behind her. Praying for a final out for you guys, so you can move forward and just be a family. Know how much I care!

Deidre said...

I have been praying for all of the birthmoms down there. The fact that they would chose to put themselves through that process is just another sign of how much they love these babies and want the best for them. They are some of the most selfless individuals and should be respected and not be subjected to what is going on down there. Anyway, I don't want to get started on my rant!

So glad that your interview went well and that is over! I am praying that the rumors are true and that your file will be ready to be released next week!

David and Marianne said...

I didn't realize that Danny was the third interview(I knew there were 3 of us on Friday.. Sarah, Braxton and someone else). I'm so glad the interview part is over... the thing that bothered me the most was thinking the PGN could use it's power in a way that could make permanent decisions for our babies because of their pride or for political gain. The Lord continually teaches me that these children are HIS first : )

Praying that we will all 3 have approved cases by the end of the week!!

Anonymous said...

This seems like something one would read in a book or see in a movie but why would politicians put people through this in real life??? Perhaps the old "put yourself in someone's shoes" adage should be thought of more often. My prayers are with the birthmoms and the waiting moms/dads.....I hope your babies will be home soon!!

Oh yes, and God bless the chocolate bearers....

Take care and know you have friends who are here for you!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Therese, I loved the traffic court story! what a great feeling. I'm envisioning the joy you'll feel when you get out of the Guatemalan court debacle. Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day. Lori