Thursday, May 15, 2008

Partly Cloudy...

We’ve had a strange spring here in the northland. With only a handful of 70 degree days so far this year, it’s the coldest spring in over a decade. Our April showers have not yet turned to May flowers. This is the latest I can ever remember waiting for the lilacs to bloom.

Our mood is a perfect match for the weather: endless waiting for long sunny spring days. An occasional clear sky and sunshine highlights our lives, but mostly it is shivering and waiting.

During drizzly gloomy days, I read the web postings about humiliating interviews with birth mothers and raids on reputable children’s homes. My heart aches for these brave women who are subjecting themselves to cruel and insensitive questioning. I pray the children caught up in the heartless raids will not be dragged from the only home they have ever known.

And when will our sweet boy come home? We have no idea. I’m thankful that our Birth Mother’s interview is complete, but we have no clue where our case is in PGN. Who knows if and or when PGN will decide to open its doors again.

And my heart is not the only one that’s breaking. There are nearly three thousand broken hearts across this country: parents waiting and wondering.

But I am thankful for the patches of sun. Those days when we’ve been able to play outside and feel the sun gain the upper hand over the cool breezes are golden. And there are golden moments in our lives, too.

My sweet girl celebrated her third birthday this week. It was a day of undivided attention and family time. And the sun was shining! We headed to the doctor’s (no shots!); the zoo; our favorite sensory overload restaurant; a carousel ride; then home, a couple presents and bed. (OK, the bed sounds too good to be true and it is – sleep finally took over at about 9:30pm!)

Three-year-old with the wingspan of a Canada Goose!



And that’s not all. A few nights ago, a wonderful ray of sunshine sent by a friend I’ve never met but will always carry in my heart. There in my inbox were photos taken with a mother’s eye that make me smile whenever I look at them. So, here’s your ray of sunshine for the day!

(Thanks Stephanie!)

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday Big sister!

That is my favorite picture of your sweet Danny that i snagged! It was a pleasure taking pictures for you! He is such a handsome fella!
Praying our babies home real soon!
hang in there sister!

Jen said...

Praying for more sunshine in your lives. Danny looks adorable and his big sister is gorgeous as well. Hoping to meet soon. Praying for everyone involved in the adoptions.

Sara said...

Happy birthday Grace!! Such a beautiful little girl. I loved the picture of Danny...such a cute smile! Knowing that there are going to be bright sunny days ahead:)

Amy said...

Happy Birthday Gracie!

What a precious picture of Danny! Praying that he is on his way home very soon.