Thursday, October 30, 2008

Misc...

I don’t understand. I will never understand. I thought I would avoid it this time; after all they were all going in together.

But still…

Where do they go? How can they get away without me noticing?

After the scabies eradication, we have socks without partners. All those little guys above went into the washing machine with their buddies, but came out alone.

So they’ll go in the bag with all the other socks without partners languishing in the laundry room. Which leads me to the next deep question: Why do I keep these wayward socks around? Does it say something about my psyche that I’m certain that the day I toss a sock its lost love will show up only to be disappointed?

Oh well…

There are a few other miscellaneous items of note around here. And not to worry, I’ve got a few pictures of actual people to catch you up with what’s been going on.

We’re at three weeks out from the Scabies and still Danny’s rash has only been reduced by about half. I keep reminding myself that the doctor at the International Adoption Clinic (IAC) cautioned us that it could be weeks if not months before all the bumps went away.

But things are complicated by the fact that our pediatrician adamantly insisted that Danny’s rash is not scabies but a dry skin rash. She didn’t deny the diagnosis, but feels the remaining bumps are a dry skin rash. The remedy for this we’re told is gooping on Aquaphor over a layer of hydrocortisone 1% solution. Our pediatrician even went as far as to say that she’d bet the IAC $100 that Danny’s rash wasn’t scabies.
Doctor's Orders

What’s a parent to do? The doctor from the IAC assures us that the goopy treatment will not interfere with the scabies healing, but she’s just as adamant about the bumps being “classic” scabies. She did caution against using the hydrocortisone any longer then about 10 days in a row. However our clinic says to use the hydrocortisone indefinitely on the bumpy areas.

I’m at a loss. I just want this poor kid to be comfortable and for his skin to clear up. I try not to worry about a scabies relapse. (But if it happens, I’ll give you some insider trading information about investing in laundry detergent stocks before I go out and replenish my supply.) Every now and then in the middle of the night I feel an itch and I’m sure those pesky bugs are back.
I’ve decided to wait another week and if there’s no further change, I’m going to start making calls to get to the bottom of this. If I have to get our two doctors into the ring together, I’ll do it for poor Danny’s sake.

In the meantime…

We’re battling a pest of another kind. For about as long as the scabies have been around, we’ve been trying to catch a mouse (mice!?!) that have left obvious clues behind. Thankfully they’ve never left a trace in our kitchen (which I would think would be paradise for a mouse given our food slinging little boy.) But every night, Gordon sets about two dozen traps and so far, we haven’t caught a thing.

Honestly, we are not slovenly people! What’s with all these pests?

Lately, very few friends have been stopping by for visits. I’m trying not to believe that it’s because they’re worried about catching something, or being caught by something!

Today when the kids and I were in the back yard, I found what looked like an obvious mouse tunnel under our back stoop. Traps are set outside and in tonight, and maybe tomorrow we’ll get lucky. If not, please send me any mouse eradication tips you have!

And now on to some pictures of much more pleasant little ones running around our house…


Most of the time, he really cracks her up! Or maybe she's just laughing about four more singlton socks!
.
.

Ready for winter!
.
.
Ensemble by Gracie. That's the border of a foam tile sticking out of Danny's back.
.
.
A couple more weeks and they should have these all bagged!
.
.
Make a wish!
.
.
Gracie has elevated her penguin so Danny can't get to it.
.
.
This is cute on so many levels. But my favorite is what you can barely see. Gracie dressed herself and she chose this dress to put on over a white fleece pull-over and white corduroy pants.
.
.
Danny gets a start on his memiors

2 comments:

Sara said...

Sorry to hear about all the pests. Not fun! Have you tried the basic mouse traps and put peanut butter on them?

What about seeing a dermatologist, to get a new perspective? That is crazy having to put all that cream on. For years, I had to put Aquaphor on Bryce's legs (eczema) and it is messy.

Cute pictures of the kids and how busy they are. Hope you are keeping your sanity through all this!

Rebekah said...

Hi Therese - thanks for stopping by! I was excited to visit and see new pictures of your babies ... but I was bummed to hear that the dreaded rash/scabies/lotion covered/slippery Danny is still struggling - I wish I was of some help ... but the picture of his slathered is pretty cute - and I love the sock mystery! I hope that your 'pests' are long gone ASAP ... as far as a mouse/mice go - ahh, been there, done that and feel your pain ... we had a shrew living in our walls ... put out sticky traps and sadly all we caught one dark night was our kitty cat ... thankfully the shrew moved on to bigger and better houses ... I will pray your pests leave you all well enough alone ...

Enough blabbing from me - thanks for the Mommy Tax info ... I will have to invoke that FOR SURE!

Hugs from Prior Lake!

Rebekah - Jaden - Baby#2 too