Sunday, March 9, 2008

In Community

Danny(nller) and a few friends hanging out before their photo shoot: Early March

I consider myself pretty competent on the computer. But when it comes to riding the cutting edge of web-communication I’m a throwback.

I prefer to use the ear-piece of a phone rather than the little message screen; in fact, I’ve never text messaged in my life. I can’t even type names into my cell phone directory. Everyone ends up with extra QQQ’s or VVV’s because I can’t figure out how to get to the next letter.

But twice in my life, the high-tech world we live in has brought me into community with people I desperately need and who I never would have otherwise met.

The first of course, was the CaringBridge community of families battling their children’s cancer. The support of friends through our website as well as being able to keep in touch with others travelling the same journey was a life saver for me.

Now I find myself so very fortunate to be a part of the amazing community of families at various points in the Guatemalan Adoption Odyssey. How is it that a seemingly random group of people have changed my life and kept me on track? It’s only been about 5 months, but I feel I’ve known these families forever. It started with a Google search (yes, I can do that!) on the name of the Children’s Home where Danny lives. This brought me to one website which in turn provided links to many more. Now I have a dozen blog stops to make every day.

Granted, we don’t sit around over cups of coffee rehashing our day, but somehow we do manage to cry on each other’s shoulders. We offer hugs and celebrate milestones together. You see the public world of our websites, but I have met people who I can call at 2:00 am if I need to, and people who can read panic in an e-mail from me and will write back immediately to offer comfort and support. And I hope these same people feel they have an equally caring friend in me.

Many times it seems, too much technology and “screen time” can create a vacuum resulting in stunted personal growth. But other times the seemingly cold sterile environment of a piece of plastic with a bunch of memory chip thingies can actually spread warmth and humanity and compassion.

Thanks to all of you who visit this website, and to all of you who comment and keep us in your and prayers and who blanket the Universe with your positive healing energy and thoughts! And thanks to my community of Guatemala Adoption friends!

Once I figure out how, I will post a list of families who are travelling this road with us and who all need to be included in your thoughts and your prayers as they go down a path that continues for a lifetime.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're in my community of friends.

Sara said...

I too am glad we have met, the group EN bloggers has been a wonderful support and I truly am grateful too.

Jen said...

Praise the Lord for how He works in our lives. God continues to amaze me through you, my adoption-journey friends. Thank you for writing a wonderful post. Praying for our children to come home!